Sunday, December 17, 2006

Was there music?

So this is the first chance I’ve had to use a computer since the other day. That girl came back just after I’d gotten up from her computer, and so I asked her if she knew anyone who could give me a ride to De Forest.

“Where’s De Forest?” she said. She had curly hair and framey glasses and looked like she probably ate a lot of natural foods.

“Maybe forty minutes from here,” I said. “I actually have never been there.” I explained that I was trying to find Horace.

“Are you a grad student here?” she said.

“No,” I said, “I’m a dislodged evangelist.” I noticed the apprehensive look on her face, so I added, “I’m prefiguring the musical apocalypse, along with my two brothers.”

“You’re really funny,” she said.

“Um, thanks,” I said. “So do you know anyone I could get a ride from?”

“I don’t think so,” she said. “But maybe you could take a cab.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” I said. I decided to hitchhike at that point. “Do you have a piece of cardboard and a permanent marker?” I asked her.

“Yeah, actually,” she said, and she took them out of her book bag, a piece of cardboard maybe 24 by 12 inches and a Sharpie.

I sat down at a table nearby and wrote “De Forest” on the piece of cardboard, making sure to make clear, thick letters. Many people are not aware that success in hitchhiking owes a lot to having a neat, legible sign. When I was done, I handed it back.

“Thanks,” I said.

“So are you going to get that cab?” she asked.

“I don’t think so,” I said.

“Hitchhiking?”

“Yeah.”

“Not worried?”

“Nah,” I said.

“Lemme ask you something before you go,” she said. I looked away and waited. “In what way did this prefigure the musical apocalypse?” she asked.

“Was there music?” I said.

A lot more happened to me, especially once I got to De Forest. But I’m out of time for writing right now, so I’ll try again tomorrow or the next day.

No comments: