Thursday, December 14, 2006

I left too

I took the unusual step yesterday of taking a bus to Madison, overnight from Sioux Falls. I left at about 4:30 in the evening, and I got into Madison this morning at 4:50 without having slept much. At two something, in Tomah, I got off the bus and bought a burrito.

I decided to follow Horace. Horace. Why do you go wandering off?

So here I am in Madison, at the University of Wisconsin's library actually. I don't have a password, so I'm just sitting at the computer of a student who got up. I guess this is illegal. But if the student comes back and sees me here, I'll just say it was an honest mistake; actually I guess I should say it was an honest on purpose. I'll tell her (the student: she left a frilly scarf on the keyboard) that I'm looking for my brother, and ask if she knows anyone who can give me a ride to De Forest. It should only take about 40 minutes. If that. I guess I've never been there before.

Horace. What motel are you at? Are you still there?

I had these thoughts as I ate my burrito and we pulled out of Tomah:
Granted that the lot of affluent homo sapiens is to find himself wrapped in a thick blanket of tedium and/or total fascination and engagement with his "one passion in life," how does a person who believes in the abiding presence of All-Merciful God pursue a more intimate union with his creator without becoming terminally distracted by epidemic sameness or the dangerously interesting variety of his own imagination?

How can you make the familiar new--how can you focus your attention on what you already know and do this in a spirit of joy--without inventing a novel (and false) essence for it?

I'm going to see my brother.

Sebastian, please see that our music gets posted and our project of cultural transformation can continue. Some glamor shots of us would also be nice.

2 comments:

Horace Gardener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Horace Gardener said...

Leo,

Sorry I messed that up.

I read some directions and I think I understand this better now.

I'm still at the same motel. The Holiday Inn express. But they don't know I'm in my room using that laptop Sebastian gave me. I think I'm supposed to be gone right now.

Once they ask me to leave, I will. Probably I'll drive somewhere else.

You can keep following me if you want to.

Sitting on this bed is uncomfortable.

In His Most Holy Name.

Horace.